Staff on BetaChat should be extremely passive with their roles, and take actions only for the greater good of the community and its members. Staff are also expected to govern the community as a democracy, keeping it fair for everyone.
While most decisions that affect the majority of the community will be voted on by all staff and sometimes the community as a whole, there are some things that may be overridden at the sole descretion of Noah (yes yes, supreme ruler etc), but with the community's best interests in mind. This includes picking who is a mod or not a mod. Keep in mind not every decision needs to be political.
General Staff Rules
- Follow the Community Rules yourself. Nothing's worse than a shitty staff team that can't adhere to the rules they're supposed to be upholding.
- Staff are expected to be present/active on our primary platform. If you go MIA for weeks at a time and aren't able to participate in community decision making, we may choose to revoke your staff roles. What's the point?
- Don't publicise any information from the Staff or log channels without prior permission. This includes discussing bans, any staff drama, or other staff-only chatter outside of the staff channels or in private with non-staff members.
- Staff are not moderators. Staff are not permitted to enforce rules. If you see something that requires moderator attention, privately ping the mods in the staff channel.
- De-escalate first, then warn or mute. Our first line of defense should be diffusing the situation, then issuing a warning by using the
!warncommand, rather than quick-firing a
!mute. Give people a chance to see that they're doing something wrong. See Mod Info for command syntax.
- Do not kick, mute, ban, voice chat mute, or otherwise restrict anyone unless they have violated one of the Community Rules or Discord Guidelines. This includes banning people for personal reasons. Don't. Generally, a temporary mute is advised in most cases, while a kick/ban is reserved for the more serious situations or obvious spam bots.
- DO NOT delete ANY messages. The only exception is for messages that contain another member's personal/private information, hard-porn/beastiality/gore, messages that fall outside of our Community Rules, or messages that violate Discord's Community Guidelines. Messages spamming other Discord servers, IRC servers, Telegram groups, etc may also be deleted at mod discretion. Any porn whatsoever must be deleted unless it was posted in a designated NSFW channel.
- Bans generally should not be made without Mods' consensus. All mods should agree on bans made for long-standing members of the community. This includes but isn't limited to
- Mods are not permitted to lift a ban or mute set by another mod, without a Mod discussion and majority vote to repeal. If a member approaches you about a ban/mute you did not make, tell them to open a ticket by DMing
@Loganso that the team can discuss it and vote on repeal. If you did set it, you may remove it at your discretion or still point them to open a ticket. In rare cases, mods may reach out to the community about a ban if the team is indecisive or if several mods decide it is necessary.
- Do not use Mod commands on other Mods. If you have a problem with another Mod, handle it in private – either in the Mod channels or outside of the community. Don't make a god damn spectacle and make an ass out of yourself in front of the whole community.
- When enforcing rules, every case must be handled individually without bias or prejudice.
- Do not kick/ban/mute/repremand anyone for expressing their opinions, unless it is explicitly hate speech or harrassing in nature.
Handling of uncivil arguments involving personal attacks:
- If there's an argument that's civil, it's allowed. Even if it's based on strong opinions. But when it turns personal, that's when we can tell them to stfu and take it elsewhere. A DM perhaps.
!warncould be given first, tell them to take it to private. If they refuse and continue, then a
!temp-muteshould be issued to the member for 1 day.
- Messages should not be deleted unless exception is found via Mod rule #4.
If you are caught abusing any staff privileges, flaunting your Mod abilities to other members like a power-hungry fool, or violating any of the staff guidelines above, you may lose some or all of your staff roles. If we find that your actions as a staff member are being repeatedly repealed by the Mods, this may be grounds for removal.
All staff are expected to review and be familiar with the Discord Community Guidelines and TOS, as they will be needing to remove any content which goes against Discord's policies, and potentially remove users that repeatedly do so.
Last major revision 6/3/2020
Last minor revision 7/23/2021