Admins and Mods on BetaChat should be extremely passive with their roles, and only take action when necessary. Staff actions should always be for the greater good of the community and it's members. We're not here to be uptight assholes. We attempt to govern the community as a democracy to keep things as fair as possible for everyone.
While most decisions that affect the majority of the community will be voted on by the staff and sometimes the community as a whole, there are some things that may be overridden at the sole descretion of the founder of the community (yes yes, supreme ruler etc), but with the community's best interests in mind. This includes picking who is staff or not staff. Keep in mind not every decision needs to be political.
- Follow the Community Rules yourself. Nothing's worse than a shitty admin/mod that can't adhere to the rules they're supposed to be enforcing.
- Warn first, then mute. Our first line of defense should be issuing a warning by using the
?warncommand, rather than quick-firing a
?ban. Give people a chance to see that they're doing something wrong.
- Do not kick, ban, mute, voice chat mute, or otherwise restrict anyone unless they have violated one of the Community Rules or Discord Guidelines. This includes banning people for personal reasons. Don't do that. Generally, a mute is advised in most cases, while a kick/ban is reserved for the more serious situations or obvious spam bots.
- DO NOT delete ANY messages. The only exception is for messages that contain another member's personal/private information, hard-porn/beastiality/gore, or messages that violate Discord's Community Guidelines. Messages spamming other Discord servers, IRC servers, Telegram groups, etc may also be deleted at staff discretion. Any porn what-so-ever must be deleted unless it was posted in the Discord-marked NSFW channel,
- Staff are expected to be present/active on our primary platform. If you go MIA for weeks at a time and aren't able to participate in community decision making, we may choose to revoke your admin/mod. What's the point?
- Staff are not permitted to lift a ban or mute set by another staff member, without a staff discussion and majority vote to repeal. If a member approaches you about a ban/mute you did not make, tell them that you are not allowed to remove it because you didn't make it, and to open a ticket in
#supportso that the admins can discuss it and vote on repeal. If you did set it, you may remove it at your discretion or still point them to
#support. In rare cases, staff may reach out to the community about a ban if there is a tie or if several staff members decide it is necessary.
- Do not use your staff privileges on other staff members. If you have a problem with another admin/mod, handle it in private – either in the staff channels or outside of the community. Don't make it a god damn spectacle and make an ass out of yourself in front of the whole community.
- Don't publicise any information from the staff channels without asking first. This includes discussing bans, staff drama, or other staff-only chatter outside of the staff channels or in private with non-staff members.
- When enforcing rules, every case must be handled individually without being biased or prejudiced. Pretty self-expanitory.
- Do not kick/ban/mute/repremand anyone for expressing their opinions, unless it is explicitly hate speech or harrassing.
Handling of uncivil arguments involving personal attacks:
- If there's an argument that's civil, it's allowed. Even if it's based on strong opinions. But when it turns personal, that's when we can tell them to stfu and take it elsewhere. A DM perhaps.
?warncould be given first, tell them to take it to private. If they refuse and continue, then a
?muteshould be issued to the user for 1 day.
- Messages should not be deleted unless exception is found via admin rule #4.
If you are caught abusing staff privileges, flaunting your staff powers to other members like a power-hungry fool, or violating any of the staff rules above, you may lose some or all of your staff roles. If we find that your actions as a staff member are being repeatedly repealed by other staff, you may lose your staff roles entirely.
Staff are expected to review and be familiar with the Discord Community Guidelines and TOS, as they will be needing to remove any content which goes against Discord's policies, and potentially remove users that repeatedly do so.
Last updated 6/6/2018